Assorted Decals suitable for kiln firing on glazed ceramics.
As a guide the firing temperatures for various types of ceramic as follows :
How to Apply Ceramic Decals: ref Bailey Decals UK
The basic tools required to apply decals are a water bowl, a rubber squeegee and a soft cloth or paper towel.
1. Fill your bowl / decorating tray with clean, room temperature water.
2. Soak each of your decal sections (one at a time) in the water until it starts to uncurl and slightly relaxes ( Do not allow the decals to soak for a long period of time as they will detach in the water)
3. Remove from the water and allow to rest for a few moments and you will notice that the decal will slide around on the backing paper when gently rubbed. The decal is now ready for use.
4. Make sure the ware is clean, any dirt or grease can affect the fired result.
5. Pick up the decal with the backing paper and slide the decal from the paper on to the ware. Do not apply upside down. Position the decal in the correct location and hold one edge with a finger and using the squeegee remove all water and air bubbles from under the decal.
6. Wipe carefully with a clean cloth or paper towel to remove surface water.
7. Make a final check for positioning, air bubbles and water etc. When the decal has been on the ware for a few minutes it cannot be moved.
8. Allow to dry for 4 to 8 hours before firing.
9. Poor application or lack of attention to detail can result in after firing defects so please ensure that care is taken and everything is clean. Change the water in your decorating bowl at regular intervals.
10. As a guide the firing temperatures for various types of ceramic as follows :